Friday, October 9, 2009

will work for words.


Awhile ago I was given a book to read, well actually, I am always being given books to read. My quest for bookish fulfillment never seems to be adequately met. I devoured at least 2 books a week during the early months of summer. Granted, these were not all literary masterpieces, but it was a way to step outside of this box I live in. Sometimes drivel is a means to an end. As summer wore on and responsibilities that come with the Fall season approached my reading time screeched to a halt. The book that has prompted this post though, is something worth making the time for. "Birdbaths and Paper Cranes - A Family Tale" written by Sharon Randall is a collection of her previously published essays on life - hers, and the lives of those around her. Sharon Randall is a nationally syndicated columnist, I guess people really do enjoy reading this kind of stuff.

In my boredom a couple of days ago during my wait at Adam's football practice, my mind drifted to the stacks of unread books I have sitting on my night stand, dresser, table, desk... and I decided it was time to get back to it. I do have a murder/mystery type book begun, but my mind needs something a little more applicable these days. I started reading Randall's book yesterday while Taluelah used the interior of the Jeep as her own personal jungle gym, Avery received a rundown of the connectedness of our small town's people and Adam made progress toward learning and applying his football skills. I have to admit with all the distractions I didn't get far in the book, but already, the foreword written by Randall's eldest son brought me to tears. I am a sucker for a child's love and admiration, no matter how young or old the child be.

Avery is back at Riviera, where he so rightfully belongs. I have no business trying to teach that child anything other than the stuff of life that he doesn't really realize I'm teaching him. In this case the lesson would be, if you try something and it royally blows, you may back out of it with your sanity intact, or rather back out of it to keep your sanity in tact! The first two days of early waking went off without a hitch... the last two, not so much so. Either way, overall, he is happier and so am I. Avery's friends are thrilled to have him back and I know that if I ever really needed to punish my younger boy all I'd have to do is cut him off from his peers. Adam was in the middle of an assignment when I heard him singing and jumping around in his room. When I reminded him of what he was supposed to be doing he exclaimed, "I just can't help it Mom. I'm celebrating Avery not being here!" Apparently, Avery and I are not the only ones feeling a sense of relief. As the saying goes, absence makes the heart grow fonder, and we were all due for a break.

Taluelah has become a certifiable toddler. If we are not attending to her needs in a timely manner she takes it upon herself to open up the refrigerator and point at exactly what it is she wants. If we still do not respond quickly enough she will attempt to retrieve whatever item she wants, regardless of the mess that ensues. She has figured out the mechanics of every pen, marker, and other indelible writing utensil we have in our home and just when we think they've all been put out of her reach, she walks around the corner with another. She managed to bite and break a tube of acrylic paint. Thankfully the paints were non-toxic, but her little green tongue was a sight to behold. Dressing my girl has become a bit of an adventure. She decides what to wear and what not to wear. It's not that she's so particular about the everyday jeans, t-shirts and shoes. But socks are something she has to choose and I have been having a heck of a time getting her to take her Minnie Mouse robe off. So she has an opinion, and desires comfort. I love it!

As I sit here writing my thoughts my eldest is building an empire in the image of Sargon's (all on paper, of course... for now), the 9 year old is missing 3rd recess, but not really missing it as he's informed me that instead of recess they do neat science experiments, and my girl is attempting to force a dish towel to stay on top of her head while she eats her chocolate teddy grahams. I am listening to Pandora radio, which really is one of the best things I've ever stumbled upon. Amos Lee was a name brought to my attention and how glad I am he was. For too long I have been bombarded with a barrage of all things punk, good enough in it's own right, but not entirely me. In 12 years I have forgotten the kind of music that stirs my soul and puts me in that feel good spot. Dido sings about being no angel and lacking perfection but still being able to smile.

I smile as I think about the foreword written by Josh Randall and how nice it would be someday to see something honest, heartfelt and beautiful written about me by one of my children. After all, isn't that what I do here, for them?

1 comment: