Thursday, August 13, 2009

the dotted line...


... has been signed..........................................
It took longer than we anticipated and it is going to be awhile before Dustin ships out. BUT it is a done deal. Done a bit differently than expected. All of the slots for infantry were closed... can't say I'm sorry to hear that. and so Dustin chose to be a tank crewman instead. Not sure that's any better than infantry but it will be different and the offspring think it's pretty darn cool. I think I can finally let go my breath.
Dustin will leave in November and be gone for 13 weeks and 5 days. Home for Thanksgiving? Christmas? Good question??? Welcome back to military life! He will go to Oklahoma for 5 days first for processing then head to White Sands, New Mexico for Warrior Training (prior service in Marines, Air Force, Navy go there to be introduced to the Army way) and then off to Fort Knox, Kentucky for 9 weeks of Tanker school.
I believe he has a short window of time off once he's done with training to come home and then we are off to his duty station as a family. Duty station.... apparently prior service do have an amount of say in where they go - small though it be. Chances are we're headed off to Germany! So it's not Italy... I think we'll manage :o) That about covers what I know at this point in time. It appears an adventure really is in our near future.
On another related note... I have signed the boys up for home schooling. Now that Dustin's ship date is a bit further off in the distance I wonder if maybe I should be sending the boys off to school. Adam has no real interest in going to public school and is happy about the home school option. Avery on the other hand is riding the fence. My biggest concern is if the house sells - no lookers yet... so maybe I shouldn't be concerned about that at all. BUT if it does it will be too late to sign the boys up for home schooling and I don't want them to have to do independent study mostly because I won't be given the materials to help teach them what they are supposed to be learning. The California Virtual Academy sends us everything - even a computer - that we could possibly need and as both boys have said... they get to do their schoolwork in their underwear! Can't beat that. Dustin and I will have to talk about whether this is the best route... especially for child 2.
In the meantime I have to get on with the cooking of enchiladas... Dustin's celebratory dinner request. Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. WOW! what an unexpected turn of events.i was very suprised when sonny told me about dustin going back into the military.i hope it all works out well for all of you.germany sounds interesting and could be a great adventure for the kids!seems like a hard language to learn tho?I will miss seeing you all at the kids sporting events.I wish you guys the very best.and safety for dustin,where ever this may take him.Love Stephanie Duty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome (officially) to army life! it is an adventure for sure...but a rewarding one. if there is ANYTHING you need, u just let us know. in the meantime, just wanted to pass on the MOST IMPORTANT thing i have learned thru my years of being married to john the GI JOE :0)...go with the flow and always write EVERYTHING down in pencil that way it can be easily changed! :0)
    ~Sara Hosea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pal, I am so excited for you. It's awesome that you all have such a good perspective on all of this. There are going to be a lot of sad folks here in Cali...we're losing some good people. But, at least I know that I might have a couch to sleep on next summer during my Euro Trip? Eh? Hahah. It was nice to talk to you today. Hopefully we can see each other in person soon.... maybe I'll come to your Moving Sale....since the ad on craigslist is so inviting and convincing. Maybe I'll find a chair for my living room. Love you Pal!

    ReplyDelete